I used to be a really good speller. I have two English degrees on my wall to prove it. :)
But somewhere along the way, as Microsoft started suggesting spelling for me - I got lazy. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's true.
I know the word I want to use, and sometimes they're not easy ones (if you know me well). So now I just barge ahead typing them even if, off the top of my head, I cannot for the life of me remember how to spell it. Because I know my friend Auto correct will show me the error of my ways.
Websites do this for you now, too. And it's making me dumb.
I could always spell words like 'consistently' prior to auto correct. But it's been only recently from one of it's suggestions that I realized I was spelling it wrong anywhere and everywhere auto correct did not save me. Consistantly.Is.Wrong. Just so you know. And yes, it is underlined in a squigly red line right there just to prove me right. (And squigly is also underlined, because it's not a real word, of course!!!)
There are copious other examples, most of which I am too ashamed to admit. So I challenge you to think about it - see where it's kicking in and if these use to be words you could spell once upon a time. Maybe I'm not the only one losing brain cells because of this.
You are not the only one. I cannot spell "corroboration" for the life of me and I cannot even get close enough for auto correct to help anymore. I knew how to spell it before, but for some reason I have forgotten and I have to drag out my old dictionary. How old is my dictionary? Well, let's just say I haven't bought one since high school because I have been relying on auto correct since college.
ReplyDeleteBoth you and Linda are better than me, because half the time I can't even think of the word I want to use. There is no auto-correct for CRS.
ReplyDelete