Today's reason: the guys are just so friggin awesome.
This band has been around with 'the new guy' (Neil, hahahaha) for over 30 years. Same lineup. That in and of itself is a milestone. Why has this happened? Because they are friends first and a band second.
When Neil lost his daughter and wife within a year of each other, no one knew if the band would be back - not even the guys themselves. But Geddy and Alex's main concern was Neil, and making sure he was ok. The band was secondary, and they agreed there would be no band without Neil if he had decided to quit. I wonder how many other bands would have felt that way.
You should also watch the recent documentary 'Beyond the Lighted Stage' for more proof of their awesomeness. It shows them touring their old haunts in Toronto, where they knew each other as boys and grew up together (namely Alex and Ged). My favorite part, though, is at the end where the three of them sit down for dinner. You can tell they genuinely LIKE each other, and you'll find yourself wishing you could be a fly on that wall for a little longer. Even if you're no fan of the music, you cannot deny the wisdom, wit and strength of these three personalities.
Not to mention - they have the most wicked senses of humor, about themselves and the wide world. Don't believe me? Watch any of their live DVDs and be entertained by the opening and intermission video segments (usually starring Jerry Stiller). Or attend 'An Evening with Rush' with us on April 3rd and see for yourself. It's a night of music, sure, but it's also a night of endless pisstaking. And it keeps me in stitches.
This doesn't even TOUCH on what incredible musicians they are. Many the bass player cite Geddy Lee as their hero - and I'll still never know how he can sing, play bass AND keyboards at the same time. I can't even pat my head and rub my belly. I'm no guitarist, but I do know that few guitarists out there have ever brought me to tears, as Alex has many times seeing him play 'Bravado' live. Most drummers aspire to be Neil Peart at some point in their lives - if not always. Clearly I'm no musician (saxophone in the high school band does not count!!), but most people who are - my husband included - often tell me that Rush has few equals in this category. We're SO not worthy.
Dirk. Lerxst. Pratt. Or Emily's uncles, whichever you prefer. :) I bow to your greatness, and appreciate very deeply who you are as men and musicians.

Your Part 2(112), love it! I don't care if you only know one or two songs or are a die hard fan who knows them all, there is nothing that compares to a live Rush concert. NOTHING!
ReplyDeleteThey also wind each other up on stage. Remember hon, I showed you them trying to put each other off during Xanadu on the Exit Stage Left video. Regarding Neil the standing joke is..... "How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?", "Four. One to change it and three to discuss how much better Neil would have done it".
ReplyDeleteOh yeah - how could I forget that!!?
ReplyDelete