Every day, without fail - and sometimes more than once a day! - my cell phone rings and displays numbers I do not recognize. Since it's famously hard to talk at work in 'cubicle land', I send them to voice mail.
Also without fail, they are ALWAYS from IT recruiters, wanting me for this job or that. Usually something I'm not even remotely qualified for -- like .Net development, or project management. Did one of Sammy Hagar's aliens take over my body and write my resume to reflect something I have not even a shred of experience in??
I blame Monster.com for this, as if you have your resume out there and visible, any Tom, Dick or Harry headhunter can see it. Despite having made clear on Monster that I can NOT consider 'contract to hire' jobs, or that my only IT experience is in QA, they still call me in droves anyway.
I would really REALLY like to take each of their calls and ask them if they actually READ what experience I have, let alone the fact that I cannot consider contract positions. It's hard to really blow them off, though. I mean, what if I become one of the 'statistics' and need them for a job in six months to a year? It's nice to hear that your skill sets -- real or imagined -- are desired. But flattery - even at it's highest form - does not a developer make.
Generally, all these calls make my face look like this:
Maybe I should just enjoy the misplaced flattery and turn that frown upside down? LOL.

Funny you should mention... I had a voice mail on my work phone when I got here this morning from a recruiter! Good news is, I guess the QA industry around here is in good shape. ;) I had a recruiter email me from LinkedIn telling me my profile looked like a GREAT fit for a Sr Automation position. I answered "that's funny because my profile clearly states my automation experience is minimal. Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteSo it doesn't just happen to me! LOL And I agree - a robust QA industry here is a GOOD thing. Though a lot of the calls I used to get weren't even for the Nashville area.
ReplyDeleteI say used to because the calls stopped almost immediately after I took my phone number off Monster. I still keep getting emails but they are easier to manage!