I had never owned a dog before I met Chas. He finally convinced me, kicking and screaming, to get one back in 2008. I have always loved all animals so it wasn't that so much as it was fearing for my dear kitty cat's 'new life' which I was sure would be ruined by introducing a canine into the mix.
So, on Halloween night, we drove a short distance to the home of what's best described as a 'back yard breeder' who had 2 female Jack Russell Terriers - sisters to boot! We looked at both, but it was the white one with brown on one of its ears that had the best reaction when Chas stuck his hand in the pen. (In retrospect, we wish we would have gotten them both, but alas!) So we chose her. Or - does that mean SHE chose US? I'm still unsure about that one, really.
In the car on the way home, we decided to name her Beamer. We had debated dog names for a month or so, both of us not liking 'traditional' names, or 'people' names for dogs, etc. As we brainstormed, Chas looked at her papers that she was born on Sept 11th (2008); and, long story short, Beamer it was.
Despite my tears and fears, the cat was initially fine, and then spent two days in the bathroom in a huff. Cats must pout sometimes. It's a very cat-like thing to do. I had a LOT to learn about training a dog. I would never have done it if it weren't for hubby. But I am so glad that we did.
That dog is THE.sweetest.thing.ever. She sleeps with me every night, she is joyous when we return home, even if it's only been 2 minutes, and she accepted both the kitty cat AND the crying, pooping tot as one of her own from day one. If we have babysitters at the house, they'll soon find their laps full of dog - whether they want it or not. LOL.
She is naughty at times. In her early days, we had to trap her in the kitchen when we left the house because she'd destroy anything that had stuffing inside (like couch cushions!). She still cannot turn down the chance to destroy a kleenex - even though she knows it's wrong! She's eaten or destroyed possessions of ours we wish she hadn't. She tracks muddy paws into the house. She licks the tot all the time, hoping for dribbled food. She eats rabbit poop and barks at things that aren't there. She incessantly wants to play ball. Every bit of food you ever get for yourself can and will be scrounged - and she goes especially bonkers when you put something in the toaster.
But -- she is perfect. If I yell or swat at her in a stressed out mommy moment, she forgets it like it never happened and wants to make up with ME, even though I should be the one asking for her forgiveness. Dogs live in the moment and they just want to please you, always. And they forgive and forget - truly, they do. If I had that capacity (instead of holding a grudge as is my nature), I wonder how much different my life might be. See - not only is she perfect, but she shows me how I could be better.
So here is my very cool dog today. Don't be jealous and wish she were yours. Go adopt one if you want to learn a bit more about yourself. I can't guarantee you'll get one as good as mine :) - and they are a lot of work - but the rewards FAR outweigh the sweat equity you'll put into it.

I have to say that I have enjoyed the energetic little dog myself and have grown quite fond of her. No matter what is going on, she has such enthusiasm for life that Beamer is sure to bring a smile to my face when I see her.
ReplyDeleteBeams!!! What a sweet, sweet girl. I'm thrilled that your family of four is so fulfilled with her as part of it. :)
ReplyDeleteMake that 5 - let's not forget Prissy the cat! :)
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that dogs are perfect. And I love the little noses on the backs my legs as I walk are priceless. Always happy to see you, always grateful for any extra anything you have to provide (food, love, space, etc). And honestly, I cannot wait to get home to them each day, just because they are truly happy to see me. Well, the financee is too, but you know what I mean.
ReplyDelete